What is the difference between this type of lunges from classic ones with a barbell or dumbbells. Competent execution technique, useful directions.
In the process of training, it is important to pay attention not only to the upper body (chest, biceps, triceps and so on), but the lower, for example, thighs, calves, and also the muscles of the buttocks. In practice, for working out the “bottom” lunges with a barbell on the shoulders are great. The exercise is possible in Smith, which greatly simplifies the task. The advantages of such attacks are versatility (the exercise is suitable for girls and guys), a simple technique, and, of course, the ability to shape the hips and muscles of the buttocks.
Smith’s lunges are a popular type of leg exercise used by many athletes (bodybuilders, powerlifters, boxers, and so on). The technique is simple, but this does not prevent most beginners, and experienced athletes from making blunders during execution. The main problem is being able to balance correctly while standing on one leg. In this case, you need to manage to maintain balance and make the necessary lifting loads.
Exercises in Smith are performed with a pallet or with a bench (here you decide). The best time for such a load is the end or the very beginning of a workout. In this exercise, you do not need to chase weight – pay attention to quality. On the other hand, working with one load for a long time is also not worth it.
Put such weight that it was convenient for you to work with a bar, and exercises were carried out without prejudice to equipment. The number of repetitions should be the largest, and it is desirable to set the pace as slowly as possible.
What are the features?
The peculiarity of the exercise is an insulating character. The maximum weight is assumed by the quadriceps, but part of the weight is also distributed to other groups – the muscles of the buttocks and the femoral part of the biceps. A group of stabilizers, for example, spinal muscles and a press, is also included in the work. This is easy to explain. When performing the exercise, you will inevitably bring the scapula between each other to hold the neck on the muscles, and not on the vertebrae. It should be noted one more feature of such attacks – the complete unloading of auxiliary muscles.
Note that when doing lunges on the simulator, all weight is concentrated on the knee joint. In this case, the main bones (pelvis and back) are unloaded in full. This is another reason why you should not abuse the load. As practice shows, the main muscle groups (including the buttocks) are pumped with relatively small weights.
Consider one more rule. To prepare the knees for the load and exclude injuries, the legs need to be warmed up. In the warm-up, the synovial fluid warms up, which moistens the joints better.
To get the expected result and avoid unpleasant injuries, the technique of the exercise should be perfect. Below we consider the correct sequence of actions:
- Install a bench or pallet at a convenient distance from the treadmill. When choosing a place, keep in mind that the stand will inevitably shift.
- Work with a vulture with a narrow grip. This requirement is easy to explain. So you switch the load on the muscles of the trapezoid and at least partially protect the spine.
- Slightly bend the back in the lumbar region, the direction of view is only forward. Place your foot so that when the buttocks are at the level of the knee there is a right angle.
- Bend your knee gently. Make sure that the latter does not go beyond the conditional line of socks.
- Taking the initial position, try not to fully extend the knee joint. This is necessary so that the muscle is always under light load. The advantage of this technique is stable pumping and eliminating the risk of knee injury.
When performing the exercise, follow these tips (relevant for both girls and guys):
- during the approach, inhale as deep as possible. In this case, inhalation should be carried out in the negative phase, when you lower yourself, switching the load on the legs and muscles of the buttocks. Exhale as you lift your torso;
- control the center of gravity, which during the lunges may shift, and you will lose balance. The ideal option is to shift the center of gravity to the heel of the working leg. In this case, the foot should be completely on the floor (without tearing off the toe);
- lunges in the most comfortable sneakers (sneakers). The sole should be flat for better fixation with a floor covering. Slippers and other “home” shoes are prohibited;
- Never bend your knees to the side. It is important that the knee joint is in the same direction with the toe. In this case, the risk of injury will be minimal;
- change the order of legs from time to time (it is better to do this at each new lesson). This approach will avoid skewing, helping to evenly pump the muscles of the hips and buttocks;
- try to use the exercise not as the main one, but as an auxiliary option (in addition to the main load for the legs and buttocks). In this case, you can achieve the maximum effect;
- Avoid oversized weights that increase the risk of injury.
The muscle group of our legs is considered the largest and consists of many different muscles. Each of them deserves special attention in the training process. Lunges in Smith – an opportunity to work out the quadriceps, the biceps of the femoral muscle and the gluteal group. The formation of a beautiful quadriceps using a simulator is rarely used by girls, but attacks themselves are often included in the program for a quality study of the buttocks.
The presence of lunges in the Smith simulator is a prerequisite if you plan to pump quadriceps. At the same time, exercise should not be used as part of a leg workout. The best option is its use for preliminary fatigue or “finishing” of muscle groups after basic training.
This post was originally published on Trading Herald